Weekly curbside recycling service is provided for all solid waste customers. Participation in the program reduces consumption of our resources and improves the environment. All residents are eligible to participate in our recycling program.
Containers are available for recycling. Items appropriate for curbside recycling include:
- Glass containers (brown, green, and clear), aluminum containers, and steel cans
- Plastic containers, including milk jugs
- Paper products: newspapers with inserts, catalogs, phone books, magazines, office paper, cardboard boxes, pop cartons, crushed boxes (from shoes, tissues, food items), and brown paper bags
Everyone can play a part in recycling. If items are not recycled properly, they cannot be reused again. Placing unacceptable items in recycling bins can ruin an entire load, resulting in the load being sent to the landfill.
Reasons Why People Should Recycle
- “Recycling saves energy.”
Recycling saves energy because the manufacturer doesn’t have to produce something new from raw natural resources. By using recycled materials we save on energy consumption, which keeps production costs down.
- “Recycling reduces landfills.”
Recycling reduces the need for more landfills. No one wants to live next to a landfill.
- “Recycling preserves our resources and protects wildlife.”
By recycling, we reduce the need to destroy habitats for animals. Paper recycling alone saves millions of trees.
- “Recycling is good for the economy.”
Recycling and purchasing recycled products creates a greater demand for more recycled goods. Goods made from recycled materials use less water, create less pollution, and use less energy.
- “Recycling helps our climate problems.”
Recycling produces considerably less carbon, which reduces the amount of unhealthy greenhouse gas emissions.